Environmental Advocacy and Sustainability(657) 278-2401
The ASI Committee on Environmental Sustainability is a sub-committee of the ASI Board of Directors and programs events and campaigns on campus related to issues of environmental sustainability. The committee is responsible to planning and implementing annual Earth Day events and activities as well as other events to raise awareness amongst CSUF students.
Committee on Environmental Sustainability
Wednesdays: 11:30-12:45pm, TSU Stearns
CES Recycled Art Contest
The United States is known globally for its throw away culture. We all know that big changes start small. We want to raise awareness, in part, to reuse and more so to communicate a message. We also want to draw attention to the creation of art with recycled materials to spread the idea of sustainability for the environment. Draw your imagination to the world of reducing trash.
Contest & Artwork Guidelines
CES Recycled Art Contest Online Entry Form
All online entry forms are due by Friday, March 14, at Midnight.Submit your CES Recycled Art Contest Online Entry Form Here
Taking a More Comprehensive Approach
For many years, student leaders, staff, and volunteers with the Associated Students Inc. have been working to deliver the organization's programs and services in ways that make wise use of our natural resources. To build on these departmental efforts, the ASI has recently brought together a comprehensive group of these ASI/TSU managers, student leaders, and other interested parties to brainstorm additional ways of delivering ASI services to the campus community in ways that promote greater environmental sustainability. Below are some of the ASI's more recent sustainability initiatives:
The Titan Student Union's Courtyard Men's Restroom is equipped with four water free urinals (each of which is expected to save 15,000 to 20,000 gallons of water annually).
Since Oct. 2009, approximately 2,000 florescent light-bulbs have been re-placed in the Student Recreation Center and Titan Student Union with more energy efficiency bulbs while also improving overall lighting levels.
The student-led Environmental Advocacy Committee along with TSU Building Engineering is in the process of developing an experimental outdoor planter, immediately south of the student union. Xeriscape landscape is being used in a garden outside the student union near the Garden Café. This type of landscape consists of drought tolerant plants and is designed to be water wise.
ASI and the CSUF Arboretum are partners in a campus composting project. Since February 2010, Building Engineering has delivered all yard waste to the Arboretum. The staff at the Arboretum maintains the compost pile (which requires turning and watering) and then return the compost to the ASI upon request. This compost is used to feed the lawns and beds surrounding the Titan Student Union, Student Recreation Center, and Children’s Center. For this project we track the following:
- Number of cubic yards diverted from landfills
- Reduction in waste
- Number of cubic yards returned as compost
- Cost savings
The Titan Student Union has changed out one of its trash dumpsters with a cardboard recycling bin. There are numerous benefits to recycling cardboard including: Every ton of recycled cardboard saves 390 kilowatt hours of electricity, 1.1 barrels (46 gallons) of oil, 6.6 million Btu’s of energy, over 9 cubic yards of landfill space, and 24% of the total energy needed for the production of virgin cardboard. (Source)
Recycled paper products, including toilet paper and seat liners, are now being used in the Student Recreation Center and Titan Student Union. Toilet paper purchased for these facilities contains 100% recycled material (40% post consumer material and 60% secondary recycled material) while the seat liners contain 100% post consumer recycled material. Additionally, coreless toilet paper, which eliminates the waste of traditional toilet paper roles with a cardboard center, are also being used on a trial basis throughout the student union and recreation center facilities.
Two have been installed in the Student Recreation Center, one in each locker room. Eight additional dryers will be installed by July, replacing a total of 10 paper towel dispensers.
L to R: Matthew Hendricks, Brandon Fee and Brian Maddock from the Titan Student Union's Building Engineering department place drought tolerant plants, including native and succulent species, outside of the Titan Student Union to create a landscape design that is water wise.
Make the Earth Clean...a few ideas for "going green"
Calculate Your Carbon Footprint
Your "carbon footprint" is a measure of your impact on the environment, in terms of the carbon dioxide emitted as a result of your daily activity. Use this calculator to estimate your carbon footprint from the energy you use and the vehicle you drive—and learn how PG&E can help you reduce your footprint.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Be conscious of the number of copies you are making and use electronic communication when applicable.
- When printing photocopies, make double-sided copies.
- Help reduce the amount of trash that goes in to our landfills. Use non-disposable dishes, glasses and utensils.
- Reduce the amount of junk mail and subscriptions to newspapers, magazines and promotional materials - consider reading electronic/online versions instead.
- Turn off all computer equipment, machinery or other mechanical appliances when not in use.
- Use natural lighting, particularly near windows or corridors which do not require bright lighting.
- Use/make your own natural cleaning supplies with lemon juice, baking soda, soap.
- Be conscious of your shower time and try to keep it three minutes or less.
- Avoid using excessive amounts of water by using a broom to clean driveways and sidewalks rather than a hose.
- Run your dishwasher/washing machine only when you have full loads.
- Agendas & Minutes
- ASI Productions
- ASI Street Team
- Board of Directors
- Budget & Financial Statements
- Camp Titan
- Election Candidates
- Executive Senate
- Executive Staff
- Leader and Program Development
- Leadership Positions
- Lobby Corps
- Policies & Bylaws
- Research Grants
- Environmental Advocacy/Sustainability
- Titan Rewards Program
- Titan Student Centers Gov. Board
- Titan Tusk Force
- Check out the ASI Spring Calendar of Events!
- Wondering what is going on at the CSUF Irvine Campus?
Click here^ to find out!
- Thursday Movie: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
March 20: 4PM, 7PM, & 10PM in the TSU Theater
- ASI Elections Debate: Board of Directors Candidates
Mar 10: 11am-1pm Becker Amphitheatre
- ASI Elections Debate: President & VP Candidates
Mar 13: 7-9pm TSU Pavilion C
- Submit an Entry for the Recycled Art Contest: Sponsored by the Committee on Environmental Sustainability
Enter ^Online^ by Mar 14
- Submit Your Film for ASIP Student Film Festival
Submit ^Online^ by Mar 14... Watch your film in the Titan Theater with all your friends!
- ASI Leadership Applications for 2014-15 Available Now Online!
Be a Part of Something Bigger... Apply TODAY! All Applications DUE March 21 @ 5PM.
- Titan Rec Fun Run: May 3
Only $18 for CSUF Students: Don't Wait - Sign Up Today!